Skip to main content
College of Nursing
Arts & Sciences Bldg #216
P.O. Box 425498
Denton, TX 76204-5498
Interactive Nurse Practitioner
Scope of Practice Law Guide
May 15th, 16th & 17th
Special Research Guide below:
The following databases contain information on Nursing topics. Hover over a database name for details.
Effective Searching must be planned and methodical. Below are suggested steps for searching.
1. Know your topic. (Background Information)
Dates, names, spellings, definitions, symptoms, etc.
2. List all the search terms for the topic you can think of.
Think SYNONYMS: Formal, Informal, and Technical
3. Ask yourself where might information on your topic be located.
Internet? Books? Newspapers? Journals?
4. Choose your search tool.
TWUniversal? A Database? Google? Google Scholar?
5. Decide which information format you want.
Article? Video? Book Chapter? Audio file? Image?
6. Make a plan.
Database + search terms X, Y & Z + peer-review
7. Explore your topic in several places.
Analyze your results. Which search terms work best?
8. Search again and again and again.
Keep testing search terms in different databases.
9. Archive your citations in RefWorks.
Let RefWorks create your Bibliography automatically.
10. Can't find what you are looking for?
Ask the Librarian assigned to this Subject Guide for help.
Example Database Search for articles:
Example Google Scholar Search for articles:
New English Journal of Medicine
A Program to Prevent Catheter-Associated Urinary Tract Infection in Acute Care
2016 Jun 2;374(22):2111-9. doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa1504906
sponsor of Healthy North Texas
Did you find the Nursing resources on this page helpful?
Spring Library Hours