Skip to main content
American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA)
The following databases contain information on Communication Sciences & Disorders. Hover over a database name for details.
Effective Searching must be planned and methodical. Below are suggested steps for searching.
1. Know your topic. (Background Information)
Dates, names, spellings, definitions, symptoms, etc.
2. List all the search terms for the topic you can think of.
Think SYNONYMS: Formal, Informal, and Technical
3. Ask yourself where might information on your topic be located.
Internet? Books? Newspapers? Journals?
4. Choose your search tool.
TWUniversal? A Database? Google? Google Scholar?
5. Decide which information format you want.
Article? Video? Book Chapter? Audio file? Image?
6. Make a plan.
Database + search terms X, Y & Z + peer-review
7. Explore your topic in several places.
Analyze your results. Which search terms work best?
8. Search again and again and again.
Keep testing search terms in different databases.
9. Archive your citations in RefWorks.
Let RefWorks create your Bibliography automatically.
10. Can't find what you are looking for?
Ask the Librarian assigned to this Subject Guide for help.
Example Database Search for articles:
Example Google Scholar Search for articles:
MedlinePlus Current Health News Results for Communication Sciences & Disorders generally.