Virginia Henderson, FRCN was a nurse, researcher, theorist and author. She was born in Kansas City, Missouri, the fifth of eight children of Lucy Abbot Henderson and Daniel B. Henderson. Wikipedia
The Nature of Nursing Model
- Introduced The Nature of Nursing Model. She identified fourteen basic needs.
- She postulated that the unique function of the nurse is to assist the clients, sick or well, in the performance of those activities contributing to health or its recovery, the clients would perform unaided if they had the necessary strength, will or knowledge.
- She further believed that nursing involves assisting the client in gaining independence as rapidly as possible, or assisting him achieves peaceful death if recovery is no longer possible.
- Defined Nursing: “Assisting the individual, sick or well, in the performance of those activities contributing to health or its recovery (or to peaceful death) that an individual would perform unaided if he had the necessary strength, will or knowledge”.
- Identified 14 basic needs :
- Breathing normally
- Eating and drinking adequately
- Eliminating body wastes
- Moving and maintaining desirable position
- Sleeping and resting
- Selecting suitable clothes
- Maintaining body temperature within normal range
- Keeping the body clean and well-groomed
- Avoiding dangers in the environment
- Communicating with others
- Worshipping according to one’s faith
- Working in such a way that one feels a sense of accomplishment
- Playing/participating in various forms of recreation
- Learning, discovering or satisfying the curiosity that leads to normal development and health and using available health facilities.